Pages

12/21/2013

DIY: Sharpie Coffee Mugs


This is a very simple DIY. I made some as Christmas gifts for a couple of people this year and I had very fun doing it. There are endless oppurtunities and you can customize it to each person. I am not going to post the ones I made on here because I don't want to spoil anyone Christmas gift! 

So to get started you can use any white mug that you want. I recommend going with a cheaper one for the dollar store or wal-mart (It has a less glossy-er feel and it is easier for the sharpie to stay) I picked up assorted sizes and shapes at my local dollar store for $1.00 each, along with a pack of 4 sharpies. Again, a very simple project and very affordable. The first thing to do is heat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit, next take a cotton pad and some plain white vinegar and wipe down the mug where you are going to apply your design. (Tip: Let it dry before starting to draw). Now you can draw away! You can do anything you want and like I said the possibilities are endless. (Tip: If you make a mistake don't worry, take some more vinegar on a cotton pad and wipe it away, it should easily wipe away within 2 minutes of applying the sharpie.) 

After you are finished your mugs pop them in the oven for 30 minutes. Nothing will happen to the mug, what this does is makes your marking permanent. I find for this project it is best to use a black sharpie because I find other colours tend to turn into a different colour or they fade while it is in the oven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment